Sunday, June 10, 2012

Job 32-34

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The sign posted at the University said, "It isn't wrong to think you're right, but it isn't right to think others are wrong." Sounds so charitable, so fair, nice even. 

The ballplayer slides into second, the shortstop tags him, and the umpire calls, "You're out!" It's just a game, but try selling that to the team in blue. The call just killed a rally. The call is a travesty against all that is just and good and right in the universe. The blue coach screams, "Are you blind? He missed the tag!" The umpire explains, "I think I got it right. But, hey, I'm not saying you're wrong, either."

You can't get away with something ridiculous like, "I think I'm right, but I don't think you're wrong." Sports do not permit this. Truth and justice do not permit this. And neither does life permit this. Life has rules. Right and wrong, good and evil, moral and immoral exist. Every seven-year old can tell you when something is or is not fair.

Elihu, a young man, waited until his elders and Job were done talking, then he had something to say. Six chapters worth. The core of his argument is the justice of God, "Of a truth, God will not do wickedly, and the Almighty will not pervert justice" (Job 34:12). 

The Almighty will not pervert justice, and we are rule breakers. We want everyone to be able to do his or her own thing, because we want to do our own thing. We who seek a world where no one is wrong cannot change the rulebook, so we try to rid ourselves of the umpire.

When Elihu stops talking (3 more chapters), we will hear from the umpire. "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said..." (Job 38:1). He has the final word and he always will. 

Daily Prayer

Sovereign God, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Your ways are good, right, and just. They are also loving. You are, at the same time, my Loving Father and my Righteous Judge. Why would I want to live in a world not ruled by righteousness? And yet, I do. Your Word seems foreign to this world, because this world would rather rule itself, and the results are not good. I can serve the kingdom of man or the Kingdom of God, but not both. The choice is clear, and I choose to be ruled by righteousness. I will follow You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment