Sunday, June 24, 2012

Psalm 58-65

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

David often begins a psalm with chutzpah, an audacious honesty which almost if not oversteps the bounds of creature to Creator. "O God, break the teeth in their mouths; tear out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord!" (Psalm 58:6), he demands of God toward the wicked who would wrong him. "Deliver me from my enemies, O my God," he cries; "save me from bloodthirsty men" (Psalm 59:1-2). He then anchors himself to the one firm foundation he can trust, "the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves" (Psalm 65:6-7). "For God alone, he only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken" (Psalm 62:6). 

Then he listens. In his psalm, in his prayer, he pulls on his anchor, an anchor secured to the mighty rock, to his God of strength. When you pull on the anchor's rope, the shore does not move, rather you are drawn closer to the shore; and this is prayer. No longer are the wicked David's concern, but God's. David's heart becomes God's heart, and he finds rest in God's goodness, satisfaction in God's justice and grace. "Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!" (Psalm 65:4). 

Daily Prayer

My God, You are the One I turn to when the world around me is in turmoil. In You I find strength and security and peace. I can give my worries to You. My concerns over trouble pale in comparison to Your care over me. I just need to remember, O God, not my will, but Yours. 

You have already saved me from sin and death. On the cross you conquered all. What else is there for me to fear? In You, my forever is certain, so what can harm me today? I will walk this world with the confidence, not of my power, but of Your Name. You are my Savior and my Lord, and for me to live is Christ.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment