Saturday, June 9, 2012

Job 29-31

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Job ignores his friends and lays out his final appeal before God: my life was good, really good (Job 29); now it's really bad (Job 30); what did I do wrong? (Job 31). Sixteen times, at least, he begins, "If I have," meaning he hasn't, and the sins he lists are common. Job is, indeed, a righteous man. 

For example, "I have made a covenant with my eyes" (Job 31:1), not that his eyes would stop seeing-that would be impossible-but that they would never stop moving. That they would not fix their gaze on what they shouldn't. The first look is free, it can't be stopped. It's the second look that costs you. He even had a back-up plan in case his eyes let him down, "if my heart has gone after my eyes" (Job 31:7), temptation met a second line of defense at his heart. "Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding" (Job 28:28). Job was intent on turning away.

Job presented his case before God, then he was done. "The words of Job are ended" (Job 31:40). In judicial jargon, he rested. It's called shalom, peace. The turmoil still swirled around him, but he was in the hands of God now, as he had always been. 

I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. ~Philippians 4:11-13

Daily Prayer

Father in heaven, You are holy, You are good. Your kingdom is righteous. I long to live forever in a righteous kingdom.

Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my thoughts. If there is any wicked way in me, straighten my path. Lead me in the way everlasting.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment