Thursday, June 28, 2012

Psalm 78-79

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Sometimes it is good to step back, take a look at the big picture, and see the patterns that emerge. That's Psalm 78. Verse 13, God parted the sea so Israel could walk on dry land; verse 14, God led his people through the wilderness by cloud and fire; verses 15-16, God split rocks and water gushed out, quenching the thirst of the Israelites; verses 24-25, God rained manna for food, the bread of angels; verse 27, and quail; verses 42-53, God delivered his people from slavery in Egypt by, verse 44, turning Egypt's river to blood, verse 45, sending swarms of flies and frogs, verse 46, destroying crops and cattle with locust, verse 47, and hail and frost, verse 51, and finally God struck down the firstborn, verse 52-53, and led the people to safety; verse 54, God established his people in a new land; verse 72, and cared for this new nation.

And still Israel thinks it's a game of chance. "Can God spread a table in the wilderness? Can he also give bread or provide meat for his people?" (Psalm 78:19-20); they are still deciding if they should bet on God.

Do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. ~Matthew 6:31-32

Daily Prayer

Mighty God, there is no one like You. You alone are Almighty, You alone are Sovereign. Your will be done.

It is so hard to trust, to release my illusion of control and turn my life completely over to You. The greatest commandment, the greatest life-giving act I can do is to love You with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, all my strength. I know that You are God, that whatever You say will happen will happen. I know it. God help me trust in what I know.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment