Monday, June 25, 2012

Psalm 66-69

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

'Walk your talk' is an important reminder. The church is rightly accused of hypocrisy when we say one thing and do another. The book of James asks, "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? I will show you my faith by my works" (James 2:14, 18). But what about when we do another and say nothing? We must earn the right to be heard, of course. living godly lives. But at some point say something. Talk your walk. Here's what I mean.

Carlos sat down to lunch with Jack. "I made a huge decision this weekend," Carlos shared. "I am now a follower of Jesus Christ."

Jack was thrilled. "Wow!" he cheered. "That's fantastic, Carlos."

"Really? I wasn't sure what you'd think."

"Why not?" Jack looked puzzled. "I've been praying for you for years."

"You have? Jack, you're a big reason it took me so long to seek God."

"What? Why? I've always tried to live a good life and be an example," Jack protested.

"That's just it," explained Carlos. "You are a really good man, but you never talk about God.  I always figured if you could be good without God, so could I."

"How are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?" (Romans 10:14). This is where the Psalms shine: 

Come and see what God has done: 
    he is awesome in his deeds toward the children of man. 
Come and hear, all you who fear God, 
    and I will tell what he has done for my soul. ~Psalm 66:5, 16

Daily Prayer

You entered this world and spoke to me, God. When I open Your Word, I hear Your voice. Your Son, also called the Word, shows me who You are. Your Spirit speaks to my Spirit. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God, teaming up for my salvation. Thank You.

Thank You, also, for those servants of yours, my friends and acquaintances, who knew You ahead of me. By their lives and their witness, they led me to You. God, use me to introduce others to You. I pray I will live godly and speak boldly and love fully, so that Your gospel will be seen and heard and received.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment