Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Psalm 74-77

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

"I can't sleep!" That's what Psalm 77:1-4 says, and we've all been there. Something is troubling and turning over and over in Asaph's thoughts, "You hold my eyelids open; I am so troubled I cannot speak" (Psalm 77:4). He's focused on the problem and he can't figure it out. The problem is a big one, Babylon has captured Judah and there is no more Israel. Apparently God no longer cares, "Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?" (Psalm 77:9). Israel's constant rebellion has finally taken its toll, and God has given up and is no longer listening.

Then change comes, not in God, but in Asaph. His focus shifts--from his problem to his God, "I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old" (Psalm 77:11). He stops thinking about Babylon and remembers Egypt. Babylon is about captivity, Egypt is deliverance. God doesn't give up; he hears his people and we are his people. 

Babylon, like Egypt, does not fear God. You don't fear God, are you kidding? Water fears God! Clouds obey him, "the skies gave forth thunder; your arrows flashed on every side. The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind; your lightnings lighted up the world; the earth trembled and shook" (Psalm 77:17-18); and you don't fear God? The seas parted and Egypt met God. You should fear God, Babylon. I do, and it lets me sleep, because, "Your way, O God, is holy. What god is great like our God? You are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples." ~Psalm 77:13-14

Daily Prayer

My Creator, You are Lord of all. You establish justice and promote righteousness. You have made Your ways known, Your Laws are clear and they are good.  May I ever remember that You do not change, and that is good. You are always holy, always good, always just, and always gracious, so no matter how bad my circumstances, they will change before You do. I can count on You God, always. May I always remember that.

I will walk in Your ways, God, because Your path is straight. It gets me where You want me to go, and that is a good place.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment