Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Judges 8-9

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

God delivers the Israelites from slavery to Egypt and Moses breaks out in song, thirty-two verses begin with, "Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak, and let the earth hear the words of my mouth. For I will proclaim the name of the Lord; ascribe greatness to our God!" (Deuteronomy 32). God destroys the Canaanites in Judges 4, and Judges 5 is another song, this time by Deborah and Barak, "Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes; to the Lord I will sing; I will make melody to the Lord, the God of Israel."  God is great. God is good!  But now, the people have forgotten their God.  A mighty victory over the Midianites in Judges 7.  Turn the page and nothing.  Nary a note.  One fleeting reference from Gideon, but that an attempt to duck the anger of Ephraim.  They accosted Gideon for not including them in the fight, and Gideon excuses himself, "Well, God was in charge."  Blame him.

Instead, the Israelites want to make Gideon king.  To his credit, Gideon responds with a rare word of wisdom, "I will not rule over you, and my son will not rule over you; the Lord will rule over you."  But I will take your gold, thank you.  In word, "One nation under God," but actions speak louder.  When their leaders prefer the gold of the people to the glory of God, "the people of Israel turned again and whored after the Baals" (Judges 8:33).  

Daily Prayer

Sovereign God, Maker of everything. Your Son, King of kings, Firstborn over all creation. You hold all things together. You not only made the planets, the stars, the suns, and the moons, You determined their path. Silly people worship the created rather than the Creator.

God, may I always keep You in my thoughts. May I always allow You to determine my steps. God, may I have the wisdom it takes to hear Your voice, know Your thoughts, follow Your lead.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment