Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Joshua 12-15

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Yet the people of Israel did not drive out the Geshurites or the Maacathites, but Geshur and Maacath dwell in the midst of Israel to this day. ~Joshua 13:13

God made it clear. The land is filled with evil. Drive out all of the evil from the land. They drove out a lot, but not all. Not everybody. Sometimes some cities didn't appear worth the battle and they allowed them to remain.  They allowed these people to live among them.  

God's church, like the nation of Israel, is called to be holy, yet sins linger.  Gossip, gluttony, lust, greed, hypocrisy, pride.  They seem petty, not worth the battle it would require to remove them, so we allow them to linger.  We fear the war when we should fear the peace.  These cannot continue to live among us.

Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.  ~Philippians 2:12-13

Eighty-five years young, Caleb remains ready for battle.  "So now give me this hill country of which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the Lord said" (Joshua 14:12).  When a young spy, Caleb stood in the minority, prepared to trust the Lord against a great foe.  His confidence was not in himself, but in his God.  Those of old age speak more often of past victories, but Caleb is ready to fight yet again. Forty-five years had not diminished his trust in the Almighty, nor his resolve to drive out evil, no matter how formidable.  "I shall drive them out just as the Lord said."  

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. ~Romans 8:31-32, 37

Daily Prayer

Holy God, You called me to be perfect just like You. Which I cannot do... on my own. May my repentance be true. I choose to turn away from my sin, and God, I need Your Spirit to give me guidance and strength not to turn back. Thank You that even when I fall and fail, I can return and confess, and the once-for-all death of Your Son, Jesus Christ, covers all my sins.

I am so glad You are perfect and that Your standard is holiness. What other kind of eternity would be good? Thank You, Father, for doing the work that makes my holiness possible. It is only in the Name of Your Son, Jesus Christ.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment