Tuesday, March 27, 2012

1 Samuel 1-3

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

"Now the sons of Eli were worthless men" (1Samuel 2:12). God's Word speaks with a beautiful bluntness. "They did not know the Lord."  A terrible resume for priests, and Hophni and Phinehas did terrible things for which they both would die on the same day and be replaced by "a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in my heart and in my mind" (1Samuel 2:35).  God raises up this faithful priest, Samuel, in the next chapter.

Notice how Chapter 3 begins, verse 1, "And the word of the Lord was rare in those days; there was no frequent vision"; and ends, verse 21, "And the Lord appeared again at Shiloh, for the Lord revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the Lord."  The Hebrew reads literally, "the Lord appeared continually or increasingly." There is movement in Israel; God is beginning to visit again. What prompted this is found between the verses.  Yet a boy, Samuel displays a heart for God's Word.  He listens for it, he receives it, and he faithfully and fully passes it along to others.  "Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground" (v 19), a fine resume for a priest and for a prophet.  "And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established as a prophet of the Lord."  God speaks more often when someone shows up who desires to listen and will do what he says.   

Daily Prayer

Eternal God, You have made me a temple of Your Spirit.  You live in me!  I pray my words, my actions, my every thought reflect Your character so fully that Your kingdom is made evident to the world. That You are praised because others glimpse heaven.  That none of Your Word falls to the ground.

By Your grace and Your goodness, by Your righteousness and the Holy Spirit who indwells me, may I be filled with Your love.  May I serve others, and in so doing, may others look at what I am doing and see You, and hear Your voice.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment