Friday, March 16, 2012

Joshua 19-21

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Not one word of all the good promises that the Lord had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass (Joshua 21:45).  

Have you seen that bumper sticker, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it"?  It is three words too long.  If God said it, that settles it.  "I believe it" adds nothing.  

I looked up some streaks.  Joe DiMaggio hit safely in 56 straight baseball games.  He was a good bet for a hit, but not in game 57.  UCLA won every basketball game from January 30, 1971, to January 17, 1974.  Eighty-eight straight.  But on January 19, 1974, they lost.  Ted St. Martin sunk 5,221 consecutive free throws.  You could bet he'd make the next one.  But then he missed.  

We have some good streaks, but even the best eventually fall.  God keeps all of his promises.  Every single one  ...and counting.  "Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End" (Revelation 22:12-13).

It's a sure thing, and you can bet your life on a sure thing.  

Daily Prayer

Our Father, God, Thank You for Your promises. Thank You for telling us what You are going to do, then doing it. Thank You that we can fully trust in You.  May I walk forward in faith, always trusting, always true.  

God, you are the beginning and the end, the first and the last. In You there is no change, no uncertainty. You are the Creator and Sustainer of all things. We read Your Word and we know what eternity holds in front of us. What a great God You are!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment