Wednesday, March 28, 2012

1 Samuel 4-8

Daily Reading 
Daily Thought

Remember Jericho, the fortress city Israel battled as they began to take possession of the Promised Land.  The faith of Israel was expressed in the fear of its enemy, "Our hearts melted, and there was no spirit left in any man because of you, for the Lord your God, he is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath" (Joshua 2:11).  And the walls came down!

The faith of Israel is seen again in 1Samuel 4. It is changed now, significantly different. When the Philistines learned that the ark of the Lord had come to the camp, they were afraid, for they said, "A god has come into the camp." And they said, "Woe to us! Who can deliver us from the power of these mighty gods?" (1Samuel 4:6-8).   A god?  These mighty gods?  The Philistines were not terrified of a people possessed by the great and mighty Creator of the heavens and the earth, as Jericho feared.  Rather, the Philistines feared an enchanted lucky-charm god in the possession of Israel.  

God will be no lucky charm, faith had become superstition, and Israel was defeated.  

Daily Prayer

Awesome God, mighty Creator, I worship You and give myself fully to Your possession.  You bought me with a price, the blood of my Savior, Your Son, Jesus Christ.  I am a temple of Your Holy Spirit.  God, my faith must be seen in more than a cross around my neck, a fish on my car.  It must be evident in my life, my actions, my speech, my walk.  

God, teach me to walk in Your ways, to obey Your commandments, to follow Your path which leads to life, a wonderful, abundant, overflowing life.  I love You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  You are my all, and all I am is Yours.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment