Monday, March 19, 2012

Judges 3-5

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

"And the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the Lord."  That's Judges 3:12.  It's also Judges 2:11; 3:7; 4:1; 6:1; 10:6; and 13:1; and that's just the book of Judges.  "Again" puts it mildly, but what is astonishing is they continued to behave badly in God's sight.  God was watching them and they weren't even concerned.  Actually, they weren't even thinking about him.  

This guy walking along the sidewalk near the middle school in our neighborhood had finished a can of coke.  I watched him (he couldn't see me) glance to his left, then over his shoulder, and seeing the coast was clear, toss the can into the hedge on his right.  Let's think through his thought process.  He's looking forward and no one is there.  Left, no one; behind, no one.  Don't have to look down since that's the ground, and the hedge is on his right.  No one's looking, so it's safe to litter.  Forward, behind, left, right, and down, he had every direction covered, except one.  Up.  He didn't even consider God.  

The book of Judges begins with the generation after the generation of Joshua.  "And there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord" (Joshua 2:10).  Little wonder "the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the Lord" (Judges 2:11; 3:7, 12; 4:1; 6:1; 10:6; and 13:1).  They weren't looking up.

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, by Your grace I am saved. Not by anything I did.  I add nothing. Your Son, Jesus Christ, paid the price for my sins by His death on the cross. You have given me life, a life overflowing.

I am Your workmanship, made to do good works. Father, You lead and I follow and You get the glory and I have a life that is full and satisfying and good.  On the night before Jesus died, He ate bread with His disciples and drank from the cup, and said, from now on whenever I do this, remember He gave His life for me.  God, may I always remember, never forget, always look up.  

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment