Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Judges 6-7

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

We meet Gideon, judge of Israel and commander of God's army, in Judges 6.  "Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house" (v 15).  "Show me a sign that it is you who speak with me" (v 17).  Because he was too afraid of his family and the men of the town to do it by day, he did it by night (v 27).  "Behold, I am laying a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you have said" (v 37).  "Let not your anger burn against me; let me speak just once more. Please let me test just once more with the fleece. Please let it be dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground let there be dew" (v 39).  The Lord said to him, "If you are afraid, go down to the camp with Purah your servant." He went down with Purah (Judges 7:10-11).

This is anything but inspiring.  Certainly (maybe?) God could find someone else in Israel with more faith and courage, but that's not what the Israelites needed.  When, finally, Gideon stepped up, God trimmed his army from 32,000 to 300, "lest Israel boast, saying, 'My own hand has saved me'" (Judges 7:2).  This is the "generation who did not know the Lord or the work that he had done for Israel" (Judges 2:10).  A cowardly commander leading 300 men armed with trumpets against the menacing army of Midian.   It was time for the people of Israel to get to know again the might of their God.

When God chooses you to accomplish his will, do not imagine it is because of all you bring to the table.  Just do what he says and get ready to stand amazed at the might of your God.

Daily Prayer

God, You are God. Simple as that. In fact, it's Your Name, the Name You gave Moses. The Name we are to remember You by. "I Am That I Am." You are God. There is no other.

What You say, You do. God, I pray that my faith is full, that my devotion is pure, that I follow You without fail, that I never take my eyes off of You. You are God. There is no other.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment