Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ezekiel 9-12

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 9-12

Daily Thought

God had an agreement with Israel, a long-standing covenant that said, "I will be your God and you will be my people." This is Creator making a commitment to creation. Think about that. The Creator owes nothing to creation; creation owes its all to the Creator. And yet, God kept his word and his people broke theirs repeatedly. 

Ezekiel is a tough read; judgment is not only terrifying, it seems terrible. When I read God commanding his angel, "Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion" (Ezekiel 9:5), I shudder. I like the God who is gracious and merciful, the patient and long-suffering Father, and I brush aside that I am the reason he suffers long. I expect patience in others, with no thought of lessening their burden.  

Israel used God's mercy and grace to dismiss his holiness and justice. They said of each prophet, "the vision he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies about the distant future" (Ezekiel 12:27). They have been satisfied to live in God's favor, even if their children paid the debt. Now that is truly terrible.

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You accomplished salvation, because You were focused on the joy of eternity. You endured the cross because of You loved me. When You call me to love You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, You have already shown a love that strong, that complete for me.

God, I deserve worse, You gave me Your best. I desire to live a life completely sacrificed to Your glory. May I never take advantage of Your love. I am grateful for Your mercy and grace, and committed to Your righteousness, Your holiness, Your goodness. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit, that my heart will always belong to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment