Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ezekiel 37-39

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 37-39

Daily Thought

The united nation of Israel became divided under poor leadership following the successful reign of Solomon. We fall quickly and are always one generation removed from glory or failure. Godly leadership is essential, and Israel was found lacking, splitting the nation in 931 BC. God, however, remains true, and in him should be our allegiance and trust. Israel will someday learn this; God is not finished with them. 

Ezekiel has a vision looking forward to the final restoration of Israel. Judgment was akin to death, but God will breathe new life into their dry old bones, "Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live" (Ezekiel 37:9). On Friday, May 14, 1948, the Israeli Declaration of Independence announced that the State of Israel has been formally established on land where, in antiquity, the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah had once been.

This, however, is not the final chapter. Ezekiel sees another vision of the evil king Gog, born in the land of Magog, ruler over Meshach and Tubal, who will lead an army from the four corners of the earth against Israel (Ezekiel 38:1-6). Gog represents all of Israel's enemies attempting to crush God's people; but God is greater than Gog, "On that day, the day that Gog shall come against the land of Israel, declares the Lord God, my wrath will be roused in my anger. I will show my greatness and my holiness and make myself known in the eyes of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 38:18, 23). More importantly, Israel will know it.

"And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel" (Ezekiel 39:7). In God we trust.

Daily Prayer

My God, You are the giver of life, both the first time, and then again. You bring us out of the grave, for we are to You the aroma of Christ, the fragrance of life. We have His righteousness.

Thank You for breathing life back in me through Your Holy Spirit. This second time, You are in control, You are on the throne, You are my Lord and Savior. I live my life now in Christ for Your glory and pleasure, taking off the grave clothes and clothing myself in Your love and holiness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment