Friday, August 31, 2012

Ezekiel 5-8

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 5-8

Daily Thought

Israel had a special place in God's plans, "this is Jerusalem, which I have set in the center of the nations, with countries all around her" (Ezekiel 5:5). With great privilege comes great responsibility, a quote attributed to Voltaire, FDR, and Spiderman. And Jesus, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked" (Luke 12:48). Israel had been given much, so that by their example the world would know who God is. 

That was one way; but there is another. In chapters six and seven, God speaks to the purpose of his judgment against Israel, that "they will know that I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 6:7, 10, 13, 14; 7:4, 9, 27), a theme that is repeated over sixty times throughout the book of Ezekiel. God will be known, one way or another. One way is better. 

Daily Prayer

My God, Maker of the heavens and the earth, Creator of all things, Owner of cattle on a thousand hills. Not a thousand cows; a thousand hills of cows. I clutch trinkets and miss your treasures.

The greatest of all treasures, my God, is knowing You. May I cast aside all that entangles me, no matter how much it delights, if it stands in the way of knowing You. You, God, are my treasure.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment