Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Daniel 10-12

Daily Reading
Daniel 10-12

Daily Thought

As Daniel prays, God answers and opens his eyes to see things unseen but very real. While our kingdoms battle, heaven wars. An unnamed angel explains to Daniel, "I will return to fight against the prince of Persia; and when I go out, behold, the prince of Greece will come" (Daniel 10:20). These are spiritual princes of darkness behind our fleshly kingdoms, "for we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12). Daniel engages in the battle when he drops to his knees and prays. 

The kingdoms of earth play king of the hill, Persia and Greece, Syria and Egypt, until one alone stands on top, and that "king shall do as he wills. He shall exalt himself and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak astonishing things against the God of gods" (Daniel 11:36). He thinks he is in charge, except God gave Daniel an amazing play-by-play description of world events, amazing because these things haven't happened yet. God knows what will happen ahead of time, because God does as he wills, and we only think we do. 

Daily Prayer

Righteous God, the Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, Who was, Who is, and Who is to come, You are sovereign over all things. How much better I get along each day when I remember this. This is Your world, so I shouldn't be surprised that life works when I live according to Your ways. 

May I confidently live knowing You are on the throne and will be forever; that nothing on earth can touch my eternity in You. May I make choices based on that, choices that reflect Your character, serving others instead of self, loving truth and promoting righteousness, giving grace and forgiving others, and humbly recognizing that You forgave me first and most.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment