Sunday, September 16, 2012

Daniel 4-6

Daily Reading
Daniel 4-6

Daily Thought

Early on, Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself (Daniel 1:8), and his consistent character was evident through several generations of kings, always to God's glory. Nebuchadnezzar said of Daniel, "the spirit of the holy gods is in you" (Daniel 4:18); then came to know there is no gods but God, "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven" (Daniel 4:37). Belshazzar saw the writing on the wall, but did not know it spelled his doom until Daniel spoke, "God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end" (Daniel 5:26). Finally, Darius observed that "Daniel became distinguished above all the other high officials and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him. And the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom" (Daniel 6:3). 

Jealousy ensued. Those around Daniel sought grounds to discredit him, and concluded, "We shall not find any ground for complaint against this Daniel unless we find it in connection with the law of his God" (Daniel 6:5). The high officials convinced King Darius to establish a silly injunction, "For thirty days, no one can pray to any god or man except the king." Then they sat by Daniel's window and waited for Daniel to show up, because three times a day Daniel prayed. Sure enough, he did. Predictable godliness was Daniel's offense.

Daily Prayer

My Savior, my God, my Friend. Yes, You called me friend. I love You so much. How can I not speak of You?

I thank You so much for Your care for me. You gave me parents and friends, a neighborhood and teachers, many people have had an incredible influence on me. But You, most of all. If I talk of my friends and family, how much more shall I shout Your Name. You are the One who gives meaning and purpose, who fills me with love and compassion, who teaches me about life. You are my God, my Father in Heaven, my Savior and Lord.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment