Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ezekiel 21-22

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 21-22

Daily Thought

"The word of the Lord came to me: 'Son of man, set your face toward Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuaries'" (Ezekiel 21:1-2). More judgment, and if you're anything like me, you're thinking, "enough with the words already," and the Lord agrees. At last, he draws his sword, "I have drawn my sword from its sheath; it shall not be sheathed again" (Ezekiel 21:5). This is the day God will turn the world upside down, "thus says the Lord God: Remove the turban and take off the crown. Things shall not remain as they are. Exalt that which is low, and bring low that which is exalted" (Ezekiel 21:26). 

Within God's judgment is a hint of God's heart, and a foreshadowing of things to come. In God's economy, the first shall be last and the last first. Difficult for us to learn, God sends his son to teach us, in word and deed, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you" (Matthew 20:25-26). Kings want people on their knees. Along comes the King of kings, and "he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him" (John 13:5). So does God, "You also ought to wash one another's feet" (John 13:14). 

"Whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." ~Matthew 20:26-28

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, I praise You and lift up Your Name. All that You do is wonderful and marvelous. All of creation reflects the artistry of my Creator. Because of Jesus Christ, I am now a citizen of heaven. May I live here on earth with the mindset of eternity. May I live a life that reflects Your kingdom. I serve You, God, which means I serve everyone.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment