Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ezekiel 43-45

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 43-45

Daily Thought

As God works restoration into the heart of his people, a burden of judgment remains on the Levites, "but the Levites who went far from me, going astray from me after their idols when Israel went astray, shall bear their punishment" (Ezekiel 44:10). Priests are called to a higher standard, and because they were faithless, they share the guilt of all. One family, however, stood strong, and Ezekiel singles them out, "the sons of Zadok, who kept the charge of my sanctuary when the people of Israel went astray from me" (Ezekiel 44:15). Zadok had been appointed chief priest during Solomon's reign, because he faithfully supported Solomon, and faithfulness traced its way through his children's children.

The choice is always idolatry or faith, trusting God with nothing or everything. "For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?" (Luke 9:24-25). Idolatry was the ongoing offense of Israel, choosing something other than God; faithfulness chooses God over everything. God said to the sons of Zadok, "this shall be their inheritance: I am their inheritance: and you shall give them no possession in Israel; I am their possession" (Ezekiel 44:28).  This was all they needed, for it was everything their hearts desired.  

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You are the Sovereign Lord. You are my King, and You have invited me into Your Kingdom. "Follow me," you offered (and could have commanded). You gave me the choice, to put my life in the hands of this world, or in the world to come. I will give up all, and place my life in Your hands. I am Yours.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment