Monday, September 3, 2012

Ezekiel 16-17

Daily Reading
Ezekiel 16-17

Daily Thought

God speaks to the nation by addressing her capital, Jerusalem, and tells a story of the life of Jerusalem. The Jews were born to Abraham and Sarah, married to God at Sinai, and showered with gifts. The ungrateful nation, however, turned to prostitution and adultery through their treaties with other nations and their idolatry, which led to their state of ruin and exile. Compared to her sisters, Samaria and Sodom, Israel was more the whore and made them look good by comparison.

A joke: two outlaw gunfighters, Pete and Tom, brothers and both bad men, were notorious in the Old West. Tom, alas, was slow on the draw and killed. Pete warned the preacher that at the burial, if the preacher did not call his brother a saint, he would find himself in a grave, as well. Nevertheless, when giving the eulogy, the preacher detailed the bad life Tom had lived, then concluded, "compared, however, to his wicked brother Pete, Tom was a saint." 

Israel was Pete. Sodom was Tom. God was saying to Israel, yes, Sodom was bad, but Israel, "You were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was honey, olive oil and the finest flour. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen" (Ezekiel 16:13). You were married to the King.

Daily Prayer

My God, may You always receive the glory. In all of creation and in everything I do. Yours is the Name above all names.

What is astounding is I am not only part of Your family, but I am a co-heir with Your Son, Jesus Christ. Not only am I clothed in His righteousness, but I share His eternal treasure. Thank You, Father, because when I make You first, I discover all my dreams and desires are fulfilled. My greatest joy comes in Your glory.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment