Saturday, September 29, 2012

Zechariah 1-7

Daily Reading
 Zechariah 1-7

Daily Thought

Haggai succeeded in motivating the people to build, and the Temple was well on its way to completion. God then called a younger prophet, Zechariah, to prepare not the Temple, but the new generation of worshipers. The question was asked, "Should I weep and abstain in the fifth month, as I have done for so many years?" (Zechariah 7:3). In other words, do we keep doing the same religion? A good question, but not an honest one, because God answered, "Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart" (Zechariah 7:9-10), and they didn't want to. 

The question is often asked if God hears all our prayers. The Israelites discovered when he doesn't, "As I called, and they would not hear, so they called, and I would not hear" (Zechariah 7:13). 

Daily Prayer

God, You have told me that if I truly love You I will obey You. And when I obey You, life works. It's not that I don't have problems, but I have peace. There is still chaos around me, but You are in control. Things don't always go my way, but I am content. Sometimes the wrong people succeed, but I can leave justice in Your hands.

But more than anything, I can talk to You. Nothing is blocking my prayers. My heart is soft and open to Your leading. It is good.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment