Monday, September 17, 2012

Daniel 7-9

Daily Reading
Daniel 7-9

Daily Thought

A keen awareness of sin accompanies Daniel's commitment to righteousness, and he makes no excuses, "we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled" (Daniel 9:5). God hates sin, but loves repentance more, and Daniel appeals to God's mercy, "O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive. O Lord, pay attention and act. Delay not, for your own sake, O my God, because your city and your people are called by your name" (Daniel 9:19). Daniel wants to know if there is a future for Israel.

Wild visions of future events inform Daniel that Babylon will not be Israel's end. The course of history is contained in dismaying images, such as "a fourth beast, terrifying and dreadful and exceedingly strong. It had great iron teeth; it devoured and broke in pieces and stamped what was left with its feet" (Daniel 7:7). Future empires will rise and fall, except one, "Behold, with the clouds of heaven
    there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
    and was presented before him.
And to him was given dominion
    and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
    should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
    which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
    that shall not be destroyed" (Daniel 7:13-14).

And that's the point.

Daily Prayer

God, full of righteousness and grace, justice and mercy. It is a wonder that I can approach You. It's wonderful that You listen. My life does not warrant Your attention, but through the goodness of Your Son and the righteousness He gives me through His death, I can speak with You. I can even speak confidently. I have Your promises, written in Your Word, and I trust You completely.

So, God, I bring You praise, and I also bring the needs and concerns that surround me. I lay them at Your feet, and I pray in the Name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Your will be done.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment