Saturday, August 11, 2012

Isaiah 64-66

Daily Reading
Isaiah 64-66

Daily Thought

A prophet blends judgment with hope; God breaks Israel down, then builds her back a strong and faithful people. "We are the clay, and you are our potter," explains Isaiah; "we are all the work of your hand" (Isaiah 64:8). "We are his workmanship," echoes the apostle Paul, "created in Christ Jesus for good works" (Ephesians 2:10). 

The Statue of David, completed by Michelangelo in 1504, is one of the most renowned works of the Renaissance. "In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action." Michelangelo describes his handiwork, "I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it."

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well. ~Psalm 139:14

"I simply chip away all that isn't David," says Michelangelo.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. ~Philippians 1:6

Daily Prayer

My God, You created man and woman in splendor. Eden was good. So were we, until we traded good for a misguided chance to play god. Good is so much better. Thank You for not giving up on us.

Thank you for seeing within me the man You created me to be. God, continue to work on me, removing the stuff that was never intended to be there. I will try to cooperate, but when I don't, keep chipping, even if it hurts. I trust You and look forward to becoming a masterpiece that glorifies my Artist.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment