Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Jeremiah 10-13

Daily Reading
Jeremiah 10-13

Daily Thought

In a discussion of first causes, or "what started everything," Jeremiah argues that God created all that there is; "It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens" (Jeremiah 10:12). The answer back, too often, is, "But, who created God?" Really? If someone else created God, wouldn't that someone else get to be God? The point is, it started somewhere. Something, someone, or nothing started everything; those are the choices. 

Idolatry is replacing God with something, which is actually nothing according to Jeremiah. "Idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field, and they cannot speak; they have to be carried, for they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them, for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good" (Jeremiah 10:5). In college, I was unprepared for an essay exam, so I wrote a lot of nothing, hoping volume would pass for knowledge. When the paper was graded and returned, the professor had written across the front, large and in red, "This is not right. It is not even wrong." It was nothing. Not evil, not good; nothing. Billy Preston sang, "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'." There is a simple sense to that. 

Daily Prayer

My Father in heaven, You are holy and good, righteous and wonderful, and You made me in Your image. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Every one is. 

I know, God, that I am Your creation, accountable to You. I am not my own, I belong to You, and the welfare of others is my concern, because it is Your concern. You have blessed me, Lord, and I shall strive to be a blessing to others. What I have I will share, holding loosely all that You have placed in my possession. May I be an agent of Your grace to this world.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment