Monday, August 20, 2012

Jeremiah 30-31

Daily Reading
Jeremiah 30-31

Daily Thought

"Who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar-the Lord of hosts is his name" (Jeremiah 31:35). 

It says sunrise will occur at 6:32am, so I show up at 6:30 and wait. Five minutes pass, I check my watch, and still no sun. Here is what I know: either my watch is wrong or the charts were wrong, or maybe I've been facing west. The sun is not wrong. It shows up exactly on its schedule every morning. You can bet your life on it; in fact, God says you should: "If this fixed order departs
    from before me," declares the Lord,
"then shall the offspring of Israel cease
    from being a nation before me forever" (Jeremiah 31:36). 

Judah sinned and was taken captive by God's enemies. Would God remain faithful, they wondered, even though they were not. Jeremiah assures them, God fastens his promises to the universe; more sure is his Word than the sun and the moon and the stars. "This is the day that the Lord has made," proclaims the Psalms. Every sunrise is a kept promise, a daily reminder that God is true.  "Let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24). 

Daily Prayer

My God, You are true and right and good. By Your breath this world came into existence, and Your Son holds it together. "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17). You are faithful and true. When You declare what will happen, it will happen.

I place my trust in You, O God, because there is no foundation more sure. So much is outside of my control, I would feel helpless and hopeless, but I know that You, my God, are sovereign. You have declared the end from the beginning, so that I may always live in the wonderful hope of things to come.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment