Friday, August 17, 2012

Jeremiah 18-22

Daily Reading
Jeremiah 18-22

Daily Thought

God makes as a condition of Judah's judgment their goodness to others, that they will treat well those who are lost, harmed, poor, and abused. "Thus says the Lord: 'Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place'" (Jeremiah 22:3). Yet later, when asked why they are being judged, the answer is, "Because they have forsaken the covenant of the Lord their God and worshiped other gods and served them" (Jeremiah 22:9). So, which is it, indifference toward others or idolatry against God?

Jesus was asked which commandment is greatest. He said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment." But he wasn't finished, "And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:37-39). Two commandments, together the greatest, essential to each other, neither stands alone. Indifference is idolatry; compassion is worship.

"Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." ~Matthew 25:40

Daily Prayer

Wonderful God, I am learning to love You better by learning to love others more. You are teaching me humility and service by doing it Yourself first. I would not know You unless You had sacrificed Yourself for me; You loved me that much. May I love that much.

I cannot worship my Creator without caring for those You created. May I love actively, seeking opportunities to serve and to share. May others find You in my actions toward them, recognizing Your grace and goodness in all I do.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment