Thursday, August 23, 2012

Jeremiah 38-41

Daily Reading
Jeremiah 38-41

Daily Thought

Jeremiah's prophetic warning is summarized in one proclamation: "Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: 'Behold, I will fulfill my words against this city for harm and not for good, and they shall be accomplished before you on that day'" (Jeremiah 39:16). When the day arrives and Judah at long last falls to Babylon, it is recorded in a perfunctory cadence, "In the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth month, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and all his army came against Jerusalem and besieged it. In the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, on the ninth day of the month, a breach was made in the city" (Jeremiah 39:1-2). There is no joy in judgment, but simple certainty that God is true to his word. 

That same certainty applies, not only in judgment, but salvation, as well. "But I will deliver you on that day," declares the Lord to Jeremiah, and there is found the joy.

For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up. ~1Thessalonians 5:9-11

Daily Prayer

My God, thank You so much for salvation, saving me from the judgment I deserve. The future is certain, but which certain is up to me and Who I follow. I choose You. 

May my life lead others to follow, as well. God, Your Word is true, and it is good.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment