Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jeremiah 32-34

Daily Reading
Jeremiah 32-34

Daily Thought

Jeremiah spoke a terrible and terrifying truth, "Thus says the Lord: Behold, I am giving this city into the hands of the Chaldeans and into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and he shall capture it. The Chaldeans who are fighting against this city shall come and set this city on fire and burn it" (Jeremiah 32:28-29). Then he spoke of a hope and a future, "Behold, I will gather them from all the countries to which I drove them in my anger and my wrath and in great indignation. I will bring them back to this place, and I will make them dwell in safety. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God" (Jeremiah 32:37-38). It was a package deal. As sure as there was something terrible about to happen, (and "the army of the king of Babylon was besieging Jerusalem" at that very moment--Jeremiah 32:2), there was a certain hope to come.

So sure was Jeremiah of the truth of his word that he put his money where his mouth was, he put his treasure into the land of Israel, "I bought the field at Anathoth from Hanamel my cousin, and weighed out the money to him, seventeen shekels of silver. I signed the deed, sealed it, got witnesses, and weighed the money on scales" (Jeremiah 32:9-10). He would have a place to build when he returned.

There is a coming judgment of my deeds, and there is good news of God's Kingdom through the grace of Jesus Christ. How sure I am of this may be seen in where I put my treasure. 

Daily Prayer

My God, Creator of all, Creator of me, You and You alone are worthy of my worship and devotion. Everything I see is awesome. I know I use that word a lot, but it truly applies to Your handiwork. I am awe-struck at the majesty, the intricacy, the wisdom, the beauty.

I have concerns, needs, issues, problems in my life. We all do. No wonder we pray to You. You have created a grand universe, and paid attention to the tiniest details. I can trust you with anything, big or small. I trust You with me, all of me, all that I have.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment