Monday, July 2, 2012

Psalm 96-102

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

When David became king, the country was divided and disheartened. Israel required a king who would unify and lead. How to pull a country together and point it in the right direction is the task of the new king, and, boy, is he committed. Psalm 101, "I will sing" (v 1), "I will ponder," "I will walk" (v 2), "I will not" (v 3), "I will know" (v 4), "I will destroy," "I will not endure" (v 5), "I will look" (v 6), "No one shall," "No one shall," and "I will" again (vv 7-8). To unify rightly, something worthy must compel devotion, "I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O Lord, I will make music" (Psalm 101:1). To lead well, you must walk the right path, "I will ponder the way that is blameless" (Psalm 101:2). There must be the right mix of setting the course and cleaning up the place.

Remember when New York City was a dirty city, and remember when Rudy Giuliani became famous for cleaning it up? A "broken window" theory was key to the clean-up. Windows break; it happens. "But," asked Giuliani, "why must they stay broken?" A building has a few broken windows. Leave them, and vandals break a few more. Squatters take over the building and criminals take over the neighborhood. Rudy Giuliani, mayor of New York City, declared "Zero Tolerance" on broken windows. A broken window will not be tolerated. Fix it now.

"I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I will know nothing of evil" (Psalm 101:3-4). Not only committed to do right, David pledged to hate evil. "No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes" (Psalm 101:7). He hated broken windows, and the City is grand once again. 

Daily Prayer

My God of Love, who hates sin because it destroys, may I share your passion. I must hate, truly despise, sin. I must also desire and cling to goodness and righteousness. This is not natural for me, but God, You have changed me. Your Spirit is inside me. May I submit to Your ways and walk with Your Spirit.

Do not allow me to tolerate sin in my life, God. Thank You that I can come anytime to Your throne and confess, and find Your forgiveness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment