Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Psalm 140-145

Daily Reading
Psalm 140-145

Daily Thought

In Psalm 141, we hear a man pleading for purity. King David (almost?) commands God to attend to him, "Give ear to my voice when I call you!" (Psalm 141:1). The English Standard Version rightly places an exclamation mark at the end--a reverent "Listen to me when I talk to you" could be an accurate translation. David wants help from God, "Set a guard, O Lord" (v 3), and from the godly, "Let a righteous man strike me-it is a kindness" (v 5). 

I remember another king, Ahab, an evil king, who was going to war. He asked King Jehoshaphat, a righteous king, to join him. Jehoshaphat said to the king of Israel, "Inquire first for the word of the Lord." King Ahab had 400 prophets who said "Yes." They always said "Yes." Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not here another prophet of the Lord of whom we may inquire?" Ahab said he has one, "...but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me, but evil" (1Kings 22:5, 7-8). 

An evil king wants to hear only good. A righteous king wants to hear only God; "let him rebuke me-it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it" (Psalm 141:5).

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You know the beginning and the end, Your words are wise and good, and You lead into righteousness those who are willing to follow.

God, I will make time each day to read Your Word. Speak to me. May Your Word reveal any rebelliousness in me and may it teach, reprove, correct, and train me to be righteous.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment