Friday, July 20, 2012

Proverbs 22-23

Daily Reading
Proverbs 22-23

Daily Thought

There are things more important than money. A reputation for integrity and honesty, "a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold" (Proverbs 22:1); truth and wisdom, "buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding" (Proverbs 23:23). Pilate infamously asked, "What is truth?" (John 18:38), and humanity has forever sought the answer. Find truth and keep it, says Proverbs. 

Embroidered on the gates guarding Harvard Yard is the Latin word, "Veritas"--Truth.  It is the motto of Harvard University; Harvard seeks to answer Pilate's question. I walked under those gates (a visitor, not a student), and was greeted by a statue of a seated John Harvard. Except it wasn't. A plaque states, "John Harvard, Founder, 1638." Nope, it not John. A model stood in. And John was not the founder, but he did contribute A LOT of money; in 1636, not 1638. A statue of three lies; truth was sold. Even the gates that proclaim "Truth" could not keep it. 

"Everyone has their price," they claim. Prove them wrong. Buy truth, and do not sell it. 

Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life." ~John 14:6

Daily Prayer

Dear God, I love reading Your Word. I learn so much about You, and about me. Okay, I'll admit, I don't always love learning about me. But I have learned to love the Truth, and Your Word is Truth. It reveals Your glory and it exposes my sin. As painful as that often is, God, it is good, because it leads me to Your grace, which returns me to Your glory.

God, even while I reject You and rebel against You, You love me so much that You seek me out. You expose my sin with Truth, not to condemn me, but to turn my heart back to You. It opens the door for Your love and grace. I love Truth, God. I love You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment