Thursday, July 12, 2012

Psalm 146-150

Daily Reading
Psalm 146-150

Daily Thought

Twelve of the 13 lines of the final psalm begin with the word "praise." The one that doesn't ends with "praise the Lord," and tells everything that has breath to do it. Later, Jesus says even the rocks would cry out if the things that breathe didn't (see Luke 19:40). 

The Psalms, Israel's songbook, close with five songs of praise. Only praise. These 150 psalms teach me to pray, to speak with God, to ask questions, to complain, to celebrate, to share my troubles and my victories, to open my heart, to seek help; but always and ultimately at the end, to stop everything else and praise the Lord. All things begin and end with God. 

Look to the past, the stars, the sky, this vast universe. How did it get there? "He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names" (Psalm 147:4); "he commanded and they were created" (Psalm 148:5). Peer into the future, "The Lord will reign forever, your God, O Zion, to all generations" (Psalm 146:10). And in between, break out the band; "Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!" (Psalm 150:3-5).

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! 
~Psalm 150:6

Daily Prayer

My Creator, my God, when I star-gaze, I look at Your handiwork. Amazed by the universe, I am awed by You. You explode the universe into existence by Your Word, by Your breath. All things were designed and created by You and for You. May all creation glorify its Creator.

I worship and praise You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment