Sunday, July 15, 2012

Proverbs 7-9

Daily Reading
Proverbs 7-9

Daily Thought

When you speak sin aloud, describe it accurately, the glamour fades. We prefer the secrecy of darkness; wisdom turns on the light. She knows what's going on, "For at the window of my house I have looked out through my lattice, and I have seen among the simple, I have perceived among the youths, a young man lacking sense" (Proverbs 7:6-7). She knows what you're up to, why you are where you shouldn't be, "passing along the street near her corner, taking the road to her house" (v 8), when you shouldn't be, "in the twilight, in the evening, at the time of night and darkness" (v 9). She knows the tempting way of the wicked, "I have spread my couch with coverings, colored linens from Egyptian linen; I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon. For my husband is not at home" (vv 16-17, 19). And she knows you, "All at once he follows her, as an ox goes to the slaughter" (v 22). You're an ox. Wisdom flatters less than that other lady. 

Daily Prayer

My God, Creator of all, Author of good, Wise Judge, Loving Savior, I live this life for an audience of One. You are the crowd, it is Your applause I long to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant." May my life be a reflection of Your grace and goodness. May I at all times be concerned for Your reputation, not my own. If I say I love You with all my heart and soul, mind and strength, may my words be backed up by my life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment