Sunday, May 6, 2012

1 Chronicles 15-17

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

David had learned to trust God when he was about to do something. When he was young, David fought a battle against Goliath, "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head" (1Samuel 17:45-46). God was with David and David did what he said. In his most recent battle, David inquired of God, "Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?" And the Lord said to him, "Go up, and I will give them into your hand" (1Chronicles 14:10), and David trusted God and fought the Philistines and won. 

Now it was time to see if David would trust God when he was about to do nothing. This may be a more difficult faith. David intended to build a house for God, and they were good intentions. David had a house, God didn't, build him one. Nathan the prophet agreed, "Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you" (1Chronicles 17:2). Then God visited Nathan and said, ""Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the Lord: It is not you who will build me a house to dwell in'" (v 4). For a man of action, "Do nothing" is hard to hear. David, a hands-on guy who holds his faith firmly, was asked to let go. 

David desired to build God a house; God said he would instead build David one. "And now, O Lord, let the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house be established forever, and do as you have spoken, and your name will be established and magnified forever, saying, 'The Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, is Israel's God,' and the house of your servant David will be established before you" (1Chronicles 17:11-12). David trusted God and did nothing.

Be still and know that I am God.
~Psalm 46:10

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You delight in me. There is nothing I can add to Your worth or Your wealth. You have no need of my offerings or my sacrifices. You desire them, not for Your gain but for mine. When I give I gain. My faith and trust grows. My relationship strengthens.

All that I am, God, comes from You. I am happiest when I pursue what You have created me to do. Take my desires God and shape them to Your will. You delight in me. I long to delight in You. May I desire You fully forever.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment