Wednesday, May 2, 2012

1 Chronicles 6

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

One of the lists in 1Chronicles 6 is "the men whom David put in charge of the service of song in the house of the Lord" (v 31): Heman the Singer (v 33) and his two brothers, Asaph, who stood on his right (v 39), and Merari to his left (v 44). Among the names of their forefathers is Ebiasaph, son of Korah.  

Korah led a rebellion against Moses and Aaron, gathering 250 leaders to challenge Moses's right to leadership. God, however, had chosen Moses leader, so "the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, with their households and all the people who belonged to Korah and all their goods" (Numbers 16:32).  The rebellion ended violently, but also immediately, because "they became a warning" to others (Number 26:10). Among the others were sons of Korah who did not die (Numbers 26:11). Neither did they follow their father's ways. The sons of Korah, including Ebiasaph, heeded the warning.

Among the 150 psalms recorded in the book of Psalms, eleven are written by the sons of Korah (Psalm 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 84, 85, 87, 88). They became leaders of worship, rather than rebellion.

For a day in your courts is better
    than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
~Psalm 84:10, a Psalm of the Sons of Korah

These are the men whom David put in charge of the service of song in the house of the Lord (1Chronicles 6:31).

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, You seek to save, You delight in redemption, You loved me before I loved You. I was rebellious against my own Creator, wanting to make my own choices, take charge of my own life, and before I even changed, Your Son had already died for my sins. Your irresistible grace saved me. Thank You.

This world offers many passing pleasures, but there is a joy that is forever, surpassing all that the world offers. It is to be Your child, to know my God, to follow my Lord and Savior. You are my God and I delight in You.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment