Tuesday, May 15, 2012

2 Chronicles 18-20

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Jehoshaphat had allied Judah with Ahab. Yes, that Ahab, husband of Jezebel, who reigned over Israel twenty-two years, and did evil in the sight of the Lord, more than all who were before him (1Kings 16:29-30). Jehu challenged Jehoshaphat, "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord?" (2Chronicles 19:2); and his rebuke returned Jehoshaphat to reign rightly. Jehoshaphat's reformation of Judah began with the court of law. He appointed judges in the land, in all the cities, with one instruction, "Consider what you do, for you judge not for man but for the Lord. He is with you in giving judgment (2Chronicles 19:6). 

I remember watching a movie with my college buddies. They laughed and I laughed. We had a great time. I remember, several years later, watching the same movie with my Aunt Katie. She frowned and I squirmed. We had an awkward time. Funny how the same movie is different depending on whose eyes you see it through. 

They would judge with the eyes of God. Jehoshaphat is king of Judah, but God is King of kings and Lord of lords. In Judah there would be no injustice, but righteousness would reign. To live rightly is to imitate God. The government of Judah would be a holy act of worship. 

Turn away from evil and do good;
    so shall you dwell forever.
For the Lord loves justice;
    he will not forsake his saints.
~Psalm 37:27-28

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, righteous and good and holy, may I fill my eyes, my thoughts, my heart with heavenly things. May Your glory be reflected in all I do. Give me discernment to know what is right and what pleases You. When I ask You to give me the desires of my heart, God, I do not mean give me whatever I want. Rather, cause Your desires to become my deepest longing, so that whatever I want will reflect Your character. 

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-may I fill my thoughts with these-with goodness, with truth, with grace, with faith, with hope, and most of all, with love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment