Friday, May 11, 2012

2 Chronicles 2-5

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

God is at work in creation. Day one, "Let there be light" (Genesis 1:3), and there is day and night. Day two, God separates the sky from the ocean surface, then parts the seas and brings forth dry land, day three. On day four, he places the sun, moon, and stars; on day five, he fills the oceans and skies with creatures that swim and fly; on day six, he creates the animals on earth, then he creates man; and each day was good. Then God rested. We know when he rested, he ceased working, but what had he built? Rest also means to reside, to take residence, and God had built His temple, a God-sized house, the heavens and the earth. From the prophet Isaiah, "Thus says the Lord: 'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest?'" (Isaiah 66:1). 

A temple does not contain God. No temple can, not even the heaven and the earth. A temple is that place where God resides to meet us, and for Adam and Eve, that temple was all that God created. From Adam and Eve sprang many people, and God chose one, Israel, to call his own. Solomon would build him a temple, "The house that I am to build will be great, for our God is greater than all gods. But who is able to build him a house, since heaven, even highest heaven, cannot contain him? Who am I to build a house for him, except as a place to make offerings before him?" (2Chronicles 2:5-6). Solomon built a temple not to contain God, no temple can, but a place for God to reside so his people could meet him. 

Now, God has chosen the church, those who trust and follow his son, Jesus Christ, and said, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body" (1Corinthians 6:19-20). A temple does not contain God. It is that place were God resides, so his people can meet him. You are that temple. 

Daily Prayer

My God, I am home for Your Name, a place of Your residence. You created all things, You are God, the only God, the Maker of heaven and the earth, and You have made me Your temple, my heart Your home. That is hard to get my head around, the God of the universe knows my name. It is amazing and it is wonderful. 

God, clean house, sweep out the sin and rearrange my priorities. Make Yourself first in my life and take all of me, heart, soul, mind, and strength. Leave no corner untouched. I will follow You, only You, the only God, and I will love You with all that I am. Live in me so fully that others will see You are home.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment