Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Esther 1-5

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Esther is a book more political than religious, the name of God not found on its pages. The passage most quoted is Mordecai's appeal to Esther to approach the king at a time of national peril, "And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14). It speaks to a trust in Providence. Esther's response, inviting her countrymen to fast on her behalf, acknowledges God behind the scenes. This is a story of godly action more than words.  

Courage cannot be ignorant, and Esther knew the danger of Mordecai's request, "if any man or woman goes to the king inside the inner court without being called, there is but one law-to be put to death, except the one to whom the king holds out the golden scepter (Esther 4:11). "Do it anyway," is Mordecai's response, even as he knew the danger, for he also had stood courageously. Mordecai is not callous of her life. He loved her and had cared for her all her life, but cared more deeply for her soul. To keep silent when courage is called for may (or may not) save your life, but you will die inside. Esther understood, "I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish" (Esther 4:16). This is no statement of despair, but of devotion to her nation and her God. 

"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." ~Luke 9:24

Daily Prayer

God, wonderful Savior, I will be prepared always to stand for You, as You stood for me in my place at the cross. I will be prepared, putting on Your armor daily, the faith in Your care, the hope of eternity, the love which You showed me. I will be prepared, pouring into Your Word, always ready to give an answer to anyone who asks about the hope I have in You.

You set the time, I'll be ready.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment