Tuesday, May 8, 2012

1 Chronicles 22-24

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

I can't sing harmony. I can't dance. I can't make free throws. I can't throw strikes consistently. I can't play drums. I can't paint a beautiful sunset. I've tried. Sometimes hours a day, day after day, for months, and even years. The motivational poster says, "You can do anything you set your mind to do." Apparently not.

God's temple would be built, not with the bloodied hands of David, but with hands that know peace, because peace is the character of God's kingdom. The one who batters the enemies of God will not be the one who builds the house of God. "My son," David said to Solomon, "I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the Lord my God. But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth'" (1Chronicles 22:7-8). There are times when determination simply will not substitute for ability, opportunity, or permission. And that's okay.

I still sing (in the shower), I have fun playing basketball (passing more than shooting), and I enjoy sunsets.

We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. ~Romans 12:6-8 (NIV)

On the other hand, those things I can do, I give it all I got.

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, You gave me life, formed me, and filled me with abilities and talents. May I delight in them. Free me from any desire to be something I am not, and help me discover who I am and what I can do for You. I am individually designed by You, so I know it is a good work You have done in me. 

I look at all You create, God, the majesty, the wonder, the beauty, and it works. The world holds together, everything in its place. I trust the sun to rise each day, because I trust the One who created it. You created me on purpose, from Your pleasure and for Your pleasure. Today, I am grateful for everything. Tomorrow, too. And the next day.

Amen

2 comments:

  1. I miss your guidance, your leadership, and your preaching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the photo you posted on facebook - I do dance!

      Delete