Friday, December 28, 2012

Revelation 9-12

Daily Reading
Revelation 9-12

Daily Thought

God was, and is, and is to come; his Kingdom is forever. The judgment that dominates the Revelation endures only for a time. When angels sound their trumpets, locusts are released and "allowed to torment for five months, but not to kill" (Revelation 9:5), and plagues "prepared for the hour, the day, the month, and the year, were released to kill a third of mankind" (Revelation 9:15). The torment, though terrible, is limited "by him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it" (Revelation 10:6). 

The wrath of God has purpose, to bring the question of repentance before humanity. God is sovereign, yet he presents himself to us as a choice, and despite the majesty that should lead us to worship, or the wrath that should drive us toward grace, we may yet choose poorly. And we do, "the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk" (Revelation 9:20). The idols are as dumb as we. 

Daily Prayer

Almighty God, You had to shout loudly for me to hear, but I did hear, and I am Yours. You keep turning my heart toward You. I long to have that deep desire to listen to You, so You can speak with the still soft voice and I will pay attention. But please, shout when You need to, when I'm distracted by the noise and the clutter that I surround myself with in this world.

Your eternity has changed my life today. I can bear the trials, because I know You, and in You my heart finds peace. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment