Friday, December 7, 2012

Galatians 1-3

Daily Reading
Galatians 1-3

Daily Thought

The Law was given by God to the nation of Israel as a picture of righteousness, but more so, to reveal their inadequacy to live up to the Law, "for all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them'" (Galatians 3:10). And, of course, they didn't and we won't, either.  

With the Law, we are like a city dog. Lucy is our basset hound. She stays indoors and sleeps in a kennel. Lucy is a city dog, and she does not roam free. She is not allowed to.  Every so often, a door is open, unwatched. Lucy breaks for freedom, and does not return. Not even at night. We call her and search for her and bribe her to bring her home.  We even use guilt. Lucy obeys our rules, until she thinks we are not looking.

"Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for 'The righteous shall live by faith'" (Galatians 3:12), and faith comes through freedom, the life of the country dog. My cousin lives in the country. Rosy, his yellow Labrador, is free to roam, and she does. Wherever she wants, whenever she wants, doing whatever she wants. Rosy is a country dog.  Sometimes she leaves in the morning and returns at night. Every night. Rosy can sleep anywhere she wants, and she does. She sleeps on the porch. She is happy to be home. 

Daily Prayer

Father God, You have set me free from the burden and bondage of sin. Thank You so much! I am now enslaved to love, a willing servant of Your goodness and grace. Forgive me, God, when I turn my liberty into a religion of do's and don'ts, or I turn my freedom into a license to sin. 

I love You, God, not from force or fear, but because I desire You so much. I follow You, because this is where I find life, a life abundant and good. With You, I am at home.  

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment