Saturday, December 22, 2012

1Peter 1-5

Daily Reading
1Peter 1-5

Daily Thought

Peter reminds those who choose to follow Jesus that they are a people set apart to God, "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy'" (1Peter 1:14-16). That's what holy means, to be set apart, to be something other, to live on earth and display heaven. 

"Dad, I'm getting a tattoo."  Adam is a college sophomore; 'No you are not,' is no longer useful. "A cross with Romans 8:31 under it," Adam described the design, "If God is for us, who can be against us."

"How big?" asked Dad. Adam stretched his fingers out. "Big. Right here on my arm."

"Adam, that tattoo will declare your faith to everyone, which is great. But remember, you are in a fraternity, a fraternity that parties - a lot. You may be the only picture of Christ your brothers see."

"Dad, I'm getting the tattoo."

"I know, Son, and it's okay, but I want to challenge you, if you are going to get it, be ready to live it."

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light" (1Peter 2:9).

Daily Prayer

Father God, You Son came into this world to be a light in a dark place. Thank You for shining that light on me, because I was a dark place! I love Your Son.

Now I am a light shining in a dark place. I will not hide the light, but I will hold it up so that people can see. So that they can see Your Son. So that they can receive Your Son and be light, too. So that the world may know that You are God. My God. The only God.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment