Friday, December 21, 2012

James 1-5

Daily Reading
James 1-5

Daily Thought

The problem with kittens is they grow up to be cats. My dad used to say that a lot. Montecore was born in captivity and raised by humans. A cute little cub, Montecore  grew into a 600-pound white tiger, part of the Las Vegas circus act of Siegfried and Roy. Roy Horn would command and Montecore would obey, and the highlight came when Roy put his head inside the yawning mouth of the tiger. Until one day when the tiger chomped Roy Horn's neck and dragged him offstage. 

Have you heard of venial and mortal sins?  Slight, forgivable sins are venial. They sound almost tame. Mortal sins kill your soul. My friend calls them "good sins and bad sins." The problem with "forgivable" sins is they grow up to be 600-pound sins.

"Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death" (James 1:15).

Be careful of keeping sins around like pets, giving them cute names like flirting or fibbing. Or venial. They grow up.

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for this world which displays Your glory and wonder. It displays Your goodness. It shows off Your power and majesty.

God, You said the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. God teach me to fear rightly, to understand that You are holy and good, and that sin is evil and death. I invite You in, God, to clean house, to make my heart right, that I would be holy as You are holy. God may I hate sin as You hate sin. If I truly love You with all of my heart and soul and mind and strength, there would be no room for sin.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment