Saturday, December 15, 2012

1Timothy 1-6

Daily Reading
1Timothy 1-6

Daily Thought

Paul left Timothy to pastor the church in Ephesus, and though young in years, he challenged him, "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity" (1Timothy 4:12). Paul knew if Timothy took the time to dig deep into God's Word and paid close attention to his own character, he would provide a solid foundation for a godly life and a strong church.

It is not unlike the retaining wall I built in my backyard, 40 feet long, 36 inches high was my first measurement. Each block weighed 50 pounds and each block was surprisingly expensive, and I did the math. Then my landscaper explained, "You'll need to put one row below ground as a foundation." 40 feet long, 36 inches high, and 9 inches deep.

"I have to spend money and effort on a row of blocks that will never be seen?" I complained. 

"Oh, you will know they are there. Ten years from now, when the wall is still standing."

Daily Prayer

God, the victory is Yours. You accomplished it on the cross, defeating the works of Satan and removing the sting of death. You now offer life, a full life that will stand on the firm foundation of the work of Your Son.

May I place my trust in that foundation, knowing that nothing can move me as long as I depend fully and solely on You. Not by my strength, but by Yours will I live victoriously in the world.

And the next.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment